Like so many people in the United States, we were shocked by George Zimmerman’s acquittal this weekend in the shooting of teenager Trayvon Martin, above. And, like so many others, we can’t stop reading about it, to try to understand the complexities of this verdict — wrapped around issues of race, gender, gun ownership and violence. Below, further reading on this tragic case.
- A detailed timeline on CNN: Trayvon Martin shooting fast facts
- The Washington Post on a law vital to the case: Everything you need to know about ‘stand your ground’ laws
- Melissa Harris-Perry of MSNBC explains: Breaking down the prosecution’s case
- And Harris-Perry wonders: Can you be motivated by race even if you don’t know it?
- Philip Cohen of The Atlantic on how gender affected the verdict: Who’s afraid of young black men?
- Ta-Nehisi Coates of The Atlantic on the paradox at play with this verdict: Trayvon Martin…
View original post 202 more words